Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Google Mapping

Google Earth is one of the most fascinating internet tools that anyone can use! I love the fact that you can type in any city in the world and you can fly there and look around on the street level and get to know that city.  In class we had fun exploring Spain, France, the US and many more countries.  I also really enjoyed the activity that we did of making a tour that showed 5 related and educational places in Oregon.  I ended up making a tour of different Wildlife Refuges in Oregon.  This was fun to look at because there were quite a few different refuges that I had to idea even existed. I have used Google Earth many times but before that class I had no idea you could use it to make a tour. This would be a really fun thing to use in a geography or history lesson. One thing that could be really fun is if I were doing a History of Science lesson on Marie Curie I could make a tour on Google of different places from her childhood. This would be a fun and easy way to get the students engaged and excited about learning. Another way to incorporate this in my classroom would be to have students create their own tours related to important cities or places in scientific discovery.  This would also be a fun thing to use for personal reasons such as showing different places that I have traveled to or showing cities around the US and world in which I have family members living. Overall I thought it was a really fun and easy program to use and I can definitely see how I could use it in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment